WHAT IS AN EDITORIAL:
An editorial is one of the writing styles used to express an opinion or reaction to timely news, event or an issue of concern. Most editorials are used to influence readers to think or act the same way the writer does. Not all editorials take sides on an issue but have one of the following four purposes:
1. Inform: The writer gives careful explanations about a complicated issue.
2. Promote: Writer tries to promote a worthy activity. Get the reader involved.
3. Praise: The writer praises a person or an event.
4. Entertain: The writer entertains the reader.
KINDS OF EDITORIALS
1. Editorial of Information – it seeks to give information on facts of news stories or add other facts with minimum explanation. It may define terms, identify persons or factors or provide a background.
2. Editorial of Interpretation – It explains the significance or meaning of a news event, current idea, condition, or situation, theory, or hypothesis. The writer doesn’t argue nor criticize, but merely present both sides of an issue and leaves the judgement to the reader. It merely interprets.
3. Editorial of Criticism – It points out the good or the bad features of a problem or situation mentioned in the news. Its purpose is to influence the reader. It suggests a solution at the end.
4. Editorial of Commendation, Appreciation, or Tribute – It praises, commends, or pays tribute to a person or organization that has performed some worthwhile projects or deeds, or accomplishments.
5. Editorial of entertainment – It evokes a smile, a chuckle, laughter, while suggesting truth. Its main aim is to entertain. It is usually short.
7. Mood editorial – It presents a philosophy rather than an argument or an explanation. Oftentimes, the subject matter is nature or emotion.
Activity: Identify each of the statements as a fact or an opinion.
1. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is the worst president the country has ever had.
2. Jose P. Rizal is the author of Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo.
3. Corazon C. Aquino was the first woman president in the Philippines.
4. Lanie Misalucha is a better singer than Regine Velasquez.
5. Men are stronger than women.
6. Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile worked as the Defense Minister during Marcos regime
7. Kris Aquino is the most popular actress in the country.
8. Secondary Education Curriculum (SEC) 2010 is now being implemented for first year and second year
9. Computers are the best invention of all time.
10. Mt. Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
1. Jose P. Rizal is the author of Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo.
2. Corazon C. Aquino was the first woman president in the Philippines.
3. Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile worked as the Defense Minister during Marcos regime.
4. Secondary Education Curriculum (SEC) 2010 is now being implemented for first year high school.
Mt. Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
1. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is the worst president the country has ever had.
2. Lanie Misalucha is a better singer than Regine Velasquez.
3. Men are stronger than women.
4. Kris Aquino is the most popular actress in the country.
5. Computers are the best invention of all time.
1. A fact is something that is empirically true and can be supported by evidence.
2. A fact can refer to verified information about past or present circumstances or events which are
presented as objective reality.
1. An opinion is a belief that may or may not be backed up with some types of evidence.
2. An opinion is normally a subjective statement that can be the result of an emotion or an individual
interpretation of a fact.
President Benigno Aquino III’s secret meeting with chairman Murad Ebrahim of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front last August in Tokyo could speed up the process of bringing to an end the conflict in Mindanao, which has stunted the growth of the region, killed tens of thousands of combatants and non-combatants and caused a lot of misery to the people.
To be sure, this was not the first time that a Filipino president met with the head of a separatist movement. Mr. Aquino’s mother, President Corazon Aquino, on Sept. 5, 1986 met with chairman Nur Misuari of the Moro National Liberation Front and agreed to negotiate an end to the 14-year-old rebellion.
The MILF is the largest and now the most influential Islamic movement in southern Philippines. It is a religious and political organization engaged in a liberation struggle based in their traditional homeland embracing parts of Mindanao. The news that the 12,000-man MILF has dropped its demand for an independent Moro state that is now focused on autonomy is good for a peaceful and legally acceptable resolution of the decades-long conflict.
But as many legislators and other interested parties have suggested, the Aquino administration must be transparent and inform the entire country about the terms of any proposed peace agreement. Another proposed peace agreement put together by the Arroyo administration in 2008 was kept secret from the people until the time it was about to be signed. It turned out that it would have given the MILF control over vast tracts of land in Mindanao.
Expectedly, the Supreme Court struck down the agreement as unconstitutional, causing rogue MILF commanders to launch attacks on Mindanao cities and towns that left 400 dead and more than 750,000 displaced and homeless. We do not want a repetition of that catastrophe.
The Tokyo meeting was a step in the direction of peace. Peace is something we have not had for decades, for more than half a century, in Mindanao. It has prevented the development of a huge area of the country that has vast natural resources and immense potentials. It is high time we gave peace a chance.
Muli’y nakasalalay sa mga kamay ng mga Cabanatueno ang kapalaran ng pagiging Highly Urbanized City ( HUC ) ng Cabanatuan sa pamamagitan ng isang plebisito. Isa itong napakagandang pagkakataon upang itama ng mamamayan ng siyudad ang pagkakamaling nagawa nang magdesisyon silang ibasura ang panukalang pinangunahan ni dating Mayor Manolette Liwag dalawampung taon na ang nakalilipas.
Kung ang mga requirements lang ang pag-uusapan, maituturing na over qualified ang siyudad. Upang maging HUC, kinakailangang mayroong kabuuang 200,000 ang populasyon nito may kinikitang 50 milyon kada taon ang isang siyudad. Sa kasalukuyan may 260,000 ang naninirahan sa Cabanatuan at kumikita ito ng 600 milyon taun – taon.
Malaki ang magiging pakinabang ng mga mamamayan kung maisasakatuparan ang nasabing balakin. Una, magkakaroon ng sariling kinatawan ang siyudad sa Mababang Kapulungan. Ang ibig sabihin nito ay magkakaroon ng tinig sa kongreso ang mga mamamayan nito. At dahil dito maririnig sa nasabing kapulungan ang sentimyento ng mga taga Cabanatuan.
Ikalawa, bawat kinatawan o congressman ng isang distrito ay may nakalaang pondo sa pamamagitan ng Congressional District Fund ( CDF ) na nagkakahalaga ng 200 milyong piso. Malaki ang maitutulong nito sa mga proyektong tutugon sa mga pangangailangan ng mga mamamayan. Maaari itong ipondo sa pagpapagawa ng mga kalsada at tulay, pagpapatayo ng mga hospital at paaralan o tustusan ang mag pangangailangan ng mahihirap na mag-aaral sa pamamagitan ng mga scholarship grants.
Ikatlo, ang mahigit na 600 milyong kita taun-taon ay didiretso sa kaban ng Cabanatuan City government. Nangangahulugan ito na babalik sa mga Cabanatuenos ang buwis na ibinabayad nila sa pamahalaan sa pamamagitan ng mga serbisyong nabanggit.
At panghuli, higit pang uunlad ang Cabanatuan kung tuluyan itong magiging HUC.Makaakit kasi ito ng mga investors o mamumuhunan ng mga negosyo na magbibigay ng maraming hanap-buhay para sa mga mamamayan.
Malaki ang kinalaman ng pulitika sa pagkakabinbin ng balaking maging HUC ang lungsod. Kung tunay mang para sa kapakanan ng mga mamamayan ang hangarin ng ating mga pinuno, hayaan n asana nilang ituloy ng siyudad ang mga panukalang sa tingin nila ay lalong makapagpapaganda at makapagpapaunlad dito.
At para naman sa mga Cabanatuenos, ang isang pagkakamali ay hinding hindi maitatama ng isa pang pagkakamali. Huwag sana nating pagsarhan ng pinto ang katok ng higit pang pag-unlad.
1. What is the issue stated in the article? Where is it found?
2. Is the writer for or against the issue?
3. What are his reasons on his position?
4. How did he end his article?
1.The introduction is the first paragraph which is composed of the statement and basis of the issue.
2. After stating the issue, the writer needs to express his position or stand on the issue.
3. The body of the editorial is composed of three to five paragraphs showing the writer’s evidences
which are based on facts to prove his argument.
4. The conclusion states the suggestion/ recommendation by the author as a resolution to the issue cited
in the introduction.
WRITING A CONVINCING EDITORIAL
1. Focus on a central theme.
2. Know the viewpoint you have to refute.
3. Make inductive arguments.
4. Base moral evaluations on the facts.
5. It is more important to be clear than to be eloquent.
6. End on a call to action.
7. Good writing comes from exhaustive editing.
Have a good day